And the bounty is great again this week… check out those white eggplants! Some plans for this week:
- We’ll do a repeat of the excellent pizza we made this week. We topped it with: sliced eggplant that had been brushed with olive oil, salted, then broiled until it was golden; mozzarella; parmesan; and sautéed garlic and red-pepper flakes. (I won’t treat the white eggplants any different than purple ones.)
- Blueberries, peaches, and cantaloupe will all make great snacks.
- I’ll cook the zucchini, summer squash, tomatoes, onion, and basil into a ratatouille to pour over polenta for quick weeknight suppers.
- For brunch guests on Saturday, I’ll make a pitcher of watermelonade and a batch of okra cornmeal fritters to accompany waffles. Both of these recipes were printed in last month’s Gourmet magazine (archives searchable at http://www.epicurious.com).
- If any of the black-eyed peas survive my munching (They taste great raw!), I’ll steam them and serve as a side with bottled chili sauce.
- Since I don’t have quite enough key limes for a pie, I think I’ll squeeze them and turn the juice into a summery cocktail. There are – of course – loads of recipes to pick from on the internet.
- And that sweet potato? I’ll stash it under the counter until inspiration strikes! It’s clean and unblemished, so it’ll keep a while.
What are you planning to do with your Local Box this week?