When I found out that there was both (1) Meyer-lemon-infused simple syrup and (2) candied Meyer lemon peel to be had, my first thought was “Let’s make a drink!” I made martinis for two, combining 2 parts Meyer lemon syrup, 2 parts juice, and 3 parts vodka (make this a super-local treat by using one of Austin’s vodka offerings, like Tito’s or Savvy). Combine the ingredients, shake over ice, and pour into chilled martini glasses. I garnished them with candied Meyer lemon peel on toothpicks—you basically have to candy the peel to get the infused syrup, so why not?
-guest blogger Kris
Candied Meyer Lemon Rind (& Meyer-Lemon Simple Syrup)
- Take 1 Local Box Meyer lemon. Remove rind in large pieces, then slice into narrow strips. Reserve flesh to be juiced later.
- Blanch strips of rind in boiling water for a minute or so.
- Bring to boil a cup of water and a cup of sugar.
- Add rind strips to sugar water and simmer lightly for 15 minutes.
- Spread rind strips on a rack to dry for 15 minutes. Reserve simple syrup for cocktail application.
- Lay sticky strips in a small seal-able container and cover with additional sugar, then seal and shake to coat. Store at room temperature in sealed container.