We had a few friends come over before we went out, so I decided to whip up some pre-bar snacks! Our Greenling box was chock-full of fruit, peppers and onions this week, so everything I needed for this cantaloupe salsa was already in the fridge.
The flavors get much better after the salsa sits for a bit, so I’d allot at least an hour before serving.
From Smitten Kitchen
- 1 whole cantaloupe, seeded and diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped finely
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste (I used much more than I thought I would, ~1 tsp.)
- Combine everything in a bowl and let marinate for 1 hour before serving with chips.
Along the same lines as mango salsa, this cantaloupe salsa is a refreshing change to the typical tomato or tomatillo-based salsas. The sweet-spicy combination would be a great compliment to grilled fish or chicken.
Just remember to chop the jalapenos AFTER putting in your contact lenses (or wear rubber gloves). Ow.