Fall is finally here — apples have started to make an appearance in our Local Boxes. I’m so excited.
This week, we’re getting Gala apples; pears from Lightsey Farms; persimmon; Bibb lettuce from Bella Verdi; cucumbers, Thai eggplant and dragon tongue beans from Animal Farm, yellow onions, red potatoes and either patty pan squash or zucchini from Naegelin; basil from Montesino, grape tomatoes, peppers from Tecalote, and radish.
So I’m making:
- Chicken salad with apples and pecans
- Bibb lettuce salad with cucumber, tomatoes and radish
- Steamed dragon tongue beans tossed with sauteed garlic and basil
- Herb-roasted potatoes
- Roasted patty pan squash and eggplant with herbed chick peas
- Ale-braised sausage with peppers and onions (for our Oktoberfest party!)
I’ve been hearing folks say they’re not sure how else to use persimmons. You can use them in salads, in baking, or as a topping for a savory meat dish. Do you have any persimmon recipes you love?