I love a good calzone. My favorite ones are loaded with fresh veggies, and when we got a huge bunch of basil and a pint of sweet grape tomatoes in our Local Box last week, I knew exactly what I was going to make.
A calzone loaded with fresh mozzerella, sliced grape tomatoes, and fresh basil pesto. I’ve already shared my pizza recipe with you here, so I’m sharing my basil pesto recipe.
- 1 large bunch of basil (~2 c. of leaves), stems removed
- 1/4 c. pine nuts
- 1/8 c. parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- Heavy pinch of salt and pepper
- 2-3 Tbsp. olive oil
- Process all ingredients except for the olive oil in the food processor. While the food processor is running, drizzle in the olive oil until the pesto comes together in a paste.
- Scrape down the bowl and taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Process again to ensure all ingredients are well-combined.
Homemade pesto is infinitely better than storebought pesto, so I really encourage you to try it. It’s so easy, and you can control the oil and salt content all you want. And it tastes fresher, too! When eaten with fresh mozzerella and grape tomatoes, it’s hard to go wrong.