- coarse salt & ground pepper
- 1 lb short, ridged pasta, such as penne rigate
- 4 oz crumbled feta cheese
- 1 can (28 oz) whole peeled tomatoes, torn into small pieces
- 2 un-peeled garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 globe eggplant (1 lb)
- 1/2 small red onion, diced small
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, stir together tomatoes, garlic cloves, cumin, and olive oil. Place eggplant on top of tomato mixture and roast until eggplant is very tender when pierced with a knife and tomato juices are thick, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool. Transfer eggplant to a cutting board and halve lengthwise. Scrape out flesh with a spoon (discarding as many seeds as possible); roughly chop flesh. Place in a large bowl. Peel and chop garlic and add to bowl. Stir in tomato mixture and red onion. Season with salt and pepper.
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserve 1 cup pasta water; drain pasta and return to pot. Stir in relish and reserved pasta water, then season with salt and pepper. Top with feta and serve warm or at room temperature.