From Simply Recipes
- 3 cups fresh shelled pinto beans
- 4 to 6 whole garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- enough water to cover beans with 2 inches of water
in a large dutch oven or cooking pot, add all the ingredients and bring water to boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover with a lid. Simmer, stirring occasionally and checking water level, for 45 minutes to 1 hour. If the water becomes level with the top of the beans, add 1 to 1 1/2 cups more water; continue cooking until beans are tender to the bite.
Keeping the pinto beans mildly seasoned makes them versatile for other dishes. If you know that you’ll want them for Tex-Mex meals, than add 2 teaspoons chili powder and 1 teaspoon cumin with the other ingredients before cooking.