Try this speedy recipe for a flavorful main dish salad to start the week!
Recipe from VegKitchen blog
Incorporating all the lively flavors of tacos, this tasty salad is quick and easy to prepare, and is a great choice when you’d like a hearty main-dish salad.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 4 to 6 corn tortillas, allowing 1 per serving
(or see Note for a shortcut)
- 2 medium firm ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 large green bell or red bell pepper, cut into short strips1 small avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup black olives, chopped
- 1 cup grated vegan cheddar cheese (great with Daiya!)
- 15- to 16-ounce can pinto or black beans, drained and rinsed
- Mixed baby greens or dark green lettuce, torn, as needed
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce or good-quality ketchup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, or more, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Cut the tortillas into strips about 1/2 by 2 inches long. Heat a large skillet and toast the tortilla strips over medium heat, stirring frequently, until they are dry and crisp. Set aside to cool.
Combine the remaining salad ingredients in a serving bowl. Use greens or lettuce as needed, according to the number of servings needed.
Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and stir together until well blended. Pour over the salad, toss well, and distribute to individual serving bowls. Divide the tortilla strips among each serving, scattering them over the top of the salad as a garnish.
Note: For a shortcut, simply use good-quality stone-ground tortilla chips, crumbled, in place of the tortilla strips.